Thursday, May 8, 2014

Gritty Resilience

Grit "an individual’s passion for a particular long-term goal or endstate coupled with a powerful motivation to achieve their respective objective. This perseverance of effort promotes the overcoming of obstacles or challenges that lie within a gritty individual’s path to accomplishment and serves as a driving force in achievement realization."

Good news today after an appointment with the physical therapist -- foot is healing and the IT Band is manageable.  With some grit, I am on track (with some amazing friends/guides) to run the marathon!  Tomorrow will be a good test as we run 13.  

Running the Top of Utah Marathon

Last year three friends and I completed a marathon together.  Crossing the finish line of a marathon is amazing.   The journey takes training, hard work, discipline, and focus to reach this goal both physically and mentally.  I am blind and run every step with a guide.  I run tethered to another person. For this marathon it was three amazing friends and my husband the last five miles.  We were with each other for the ups, the downs, the aches, and the victory of crossing that finish line!  For four mornings each week for 20 weeks prior, these amazing women would knock on my door ready to not only run but serve as my guide.  Inspiring.  I crossed the finish line with such joy (and yes, fatigue and sore legs to come).  There was a day when I didnt believe this was a possibility.  There was a day after a diagnosis of Retinitis Pigmentosa that it felt like many doors were closed in my life. My life is rich with possibilities.   Becky Andrews 

No comments:

Post a Comment